Corey Perrine (b. 1979) was raised by an American father and Korean mother in Springfield, Va.
He is a driven and passionate staff photographer for the Florida Times-Union / Jacksonville.com, focused on sports, news and portraits. His full-time career in newspapers, since 1999, has helped craft his visual voice covering daily stories in Provo, Utah, Kansas City, Mo., Nashua N.H., Augusta, Ga., Omaha, Neb., Naples, Fla., Philadelphia and Jacksonville, Fla.
He understands the need for photos on deadline, the importance of arriving early and staying late.
He is always striving to tell a complete visual report – journalism part included – ask questions, get names.
Each assignment or project, he always attempts to reach beyond the obvious. Peak moments are a given, but also tell the story on the periphery. He always strives to include overlooked elements, stop for things that tug, take visual risks, and hopefully, surprise the audience.
The themes of his bodies of work revolve around obstacles and triumph. He represents people with empathy while letting life unfold naturally. He believes in images because it gives viewers the liberty of how long to look and how much to reflect.
"Photojournalism is the delicate balance between art and storytelling, creativity and communication."
Honors include being recognized by Pictures of the Year International, the National Press Photographers Association, The Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar, Northern Short Course, Southern Short Course and numerous state and regional competitions. He is a six-time NPPA Regional Photographer of the Year and two-time NPPA National Clip Contest Photographer of the Year. In 2014 he was runner-up Photographer of the Year (small markets) in the Best of Photojournalism competition, second runner-up in 2012. In 2010 he was Sportsshooter.com Photographer of the Year, runner-up in 2013. Sportsshooter.com also named him the lone 2010 annual pro portfolio winner. He is an Eddie Adams XX alumnus and has coached at The Mountain Workshops.
When not behind a camera, he presses and cleans comics to be graded and sold through his eBay store Comic Pursuit, attempts and fails at staying in shape, hikes with his husky and cattle dog, enjoys cooking, watches movies, and explores restaurants, all with his lovely wife, Sarah.
• Staff Photographer, The Florida Times-Union – Nov. 2021 - Present
• Freelance, Philadelphia – Aug. 2016 - Oct 2021 (5 years, 2 months)
• Staff Photographer, The Naples Daily News – June 2012 - Aug. 2016 (4 years, 2 months)
• Staff Photographer, Omaha World-Herald – Sept. 2011 - June 2012 (9 months)
• Staff Photographer, The Augusta Chronicle – Feb. 2010 - Sept. 2011 (1 year, 7 months)
• Staff Photographer, The (Nashua) Telegraph – April 2006 - Feb 2010 (3 years, 10 months)
• Staff Photographer, NPG Newspapers – Sept. 2004 - Nov. 2005 (1 year, 2 months)
• Staff Photographer, The Daily Universe (BYU) – 1999, 2001-2003 (9 semesters)
• Entertainment Reporter and Cartoonist, The Lance (1995-1997) (Junior and senior year of high school)
• Brigham Young University, Provo, UT – Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography) – Dec. 2003
• John R. Lewis High School, Springfield, VA – Diploma – June 1997
• Missouri Photo Workshop 57
• Sportsshooter Academy III
• Eddie Adams Workshop XX
COACH, GUEST SPEAKER or JUDGE
• Indiana News Photographers Assn. – Feb. 2017, judge and speaker.
• College Photographer of the Year (Columbia, Mo.) – Nov. 2016, judge.
• The von Liebig Art Center (Naples, Fla.) – June 2016, judge.
• Ohio News Photographers Assn. – April 2015, judge and speaker.
• The Mountain Workshops - Berea, Ky. – Oct. 2014, coach.
• Michigan Press Photographers Assn. annual conference Feb. 2014, judge and speaker.
• Asian American Journalists Assn. annual photo competition – March 2013, judge.
• Kentucky News Photographers Assn. annual conference – Jan. 2012, judge and speaker.
• North Carolina Press Photographers Assn. annual conference – March 2011, judge and speaker.
• South Carolina News Photographers Assn. annual conference – Feb. 2011, judge and speaker.
Extremely proficient with all major formats of still cameras, studio and on-location lighting, audio gathering, Adobe Photoshop, Audacity, Photo Mechanic (with code replacement), Microsoft Word, Apple and PC-based computers, video shooting and editing via Final Cut Pro X (familiar with Adobe Premiere but it's been awhile).
Getty Images, The Associated Press, AP Images, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, The American Legion, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, San Antonio Express-News, Vox, ESPN's The Undefeated, The Daily Mail, World Magazine via Genesis Photo Agency, World Vision International, Carnegie Mellon University, Baylor University, ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Medical Research, Gary Sinise Foundation.
Please see 'ABOUT > Accolades.'
• NPPA Mid-Atlantic Clip Chair – Jan. 2017 - Jan. 2019 (2 years)
• NPPA Region 6 Clip Chair – July 2010 - Oct. 2011, Dec. 2012 - Feb. 2016 (4 years, 5 months)
• NPPA Region 1 Clip Chair – Nov. 2008 - Feb. 2010 (1 year, 3 months)
Available upon request.
IN THE NEWS
Top 10 Sports Photographers in Philadelphia
Communication Arts: Five Photographers Share Their Treasured Finds
PhotoShelter: How 4 Photographers are Dealing with Income Loss Due to Covid-19
Judging the INPA Annual Competition
The Image, Deconstructed – Interview
Dream 16 Portraits – Video
That Time I (Unfortunately) Went Viral – eBaum's World
2014 Southern Short Course POY – Write-up
2010 Sportsshooter.com POY – Write-up
2010 Sportsshooter.com Annual Portfolio Competition – Write-up
2010 POYi Sports Runner-up – Portfolio
2009 POYi Best Photo Column – Tearsheets